fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Michael Wilshire Jr" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:49:56 -0700
Subject: PLEASE CLARIFY
I am Mr. Mr. Michael Wilshire Jr., Head Foreign Operations United Nations (UN) Foreign Credit Commission and Debts Settlement Services New York United States of
America. We have been set up to fight against Internet scam and fraudulent activities worldwide.
This Group is also responsible for investigating the legitimacy of unpaid contract, inheritance and lotto winning claims by Companies and individuals and directs the
paying authorities (banks) worldwide to make immediate payment of verified claims to the beneficiaries without further Delay.
You are being legally contacted regarding the release of your long awaited fund. After a detailed review of your file, the sum of US10, 500,000.00 (Ten Million Five
Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) has been approved in your favor for payment via JP Morgan Chase Bank New York. I therefore wish to inform you that your payment
is now being processed and will be released to you as soon as you respond to this letter
Because we have received a letter/application from one Mr. Bohumil KOZMIN a citizen of Australia, said to be your next of kin and that the funds should be redirected
to the account given to us with the Commonwealth Bank of Australia, Account Number: 10138816, Account Name: Bohumil KOZMIN, Swift Code: CTBAAU2S, Sort/Award BSB
Please confirm to us if we should proceed with this payment of transferring the said fund urgently into the above stated bank account of your next of kin as you have
authorized before it is too late
And if in any event you have a contrary view or opinion against this arrangement we are making now to wire this approved fund in your favor into your next of kins
bank account in Australia you should not hesitate to let us know immediately you receive this message so that we can stop this payment and you will be required to send
us the below stated information for confirmation and record purposes
1. Your Full Name:
2. Your Direct Telephone
3. Fax Number
4. Your Residential Address:
5. Your Current Receiving Banking Details
Upon the receipt of these requested information from you, a fund claim identification code (CIC) will be issued to you by this office that will enable you to
secure/protect your funds from the hands of corrupt officials that are trying to steal or divert your funds into an unknown bank account to you without your
Waiting for your swift response and Cooperation
Mr. Michael Wilshire Jr.