fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic immunity" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Bank Of America <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 23:49:48 +0100
Subject: Your Funds Transfer Has Been Activated And Running!!!
Bank of America Corporate Office Headquarters
100 N.Tryon St Charlotte,NC 28255
United States of America
8a.m.-9p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
Saturday and Sunday
8a.m.-4p.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT)
make this payment and receive your funds.
The Management of the Bank of America Corporate Office
Headquarters here in 100 N.Tryon St Charlotte,NC 28255 wishes to
inform you that after a
brief meeting held by the Bank executives yesterday at precisely 8
a.m. Eastern Daylight Time(EDT), we deem it appropriate to intimate
you that your funds will be transferred into the United States
Treasury Account with the JP Morgan Chase Headquarters at 270 Park
Avenue in New York according to the record we got from Africa due to
your inability to complete the transaction and your failure to meet up
with a minor payment obligation. The actual transfer of your
funds($9,500,000.00) into the government account comes up next week.
This is in line with the instructions of the USA Treasurer, Mrs .Rosa
Gumataotao Rios that all unclaimed funds be paid into the United
States Government Treasury Account as unserviceable funds in
compliance to section 3 subsection 1(a) of the United States Financial
Law enacted in 2001 after an attack on our dear country on September
11,2001. Find below the profile of the banking institution where your
funds will be transferred into following the government directive:,
And note to responds to us with below Email
(firstname.lastname@example.org)Name of Bank: JP Morgan Chase Headquarters at
270 Park Avenue in New York. JP Morgan Chase Official Bankers for the
United States Treasury Department
AC NO: 68302345093
Account Name:United States Treasury Department,USA
Note that if you still wish to receive your funds do get back to
us immediately so that we will remove your funds transfer from the
list of those transactions to be seized by the United States
Government. Also be informed that we need only a DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY
SEAL OF TRANSFER(DIST) to complete the wire transfer. The fee to
obtain the SEAL was reduced from $3500 to $1500 and no other fee is
Reply to this email as soon as possible and i will forward you my
secretary account information where you will send the $1500.
If we hear from you today, we will transfer your funds ($9,500,000.00)
before we close office and the funds will reflect 3hours after the
transfer. We will send you all the transfer documents to enable you
start making cash withdrawals from your account same day the funds are
transferred. We have waited for so long and we cannot continue to wait.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve your banking needs.
Yours in service,
Brian T. Moynihan
Bank of America=C2=AE
Corporate Office Headquarters, Charlotte,N.C.
Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC.
=C2=A9 2011 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved.