fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Vanessa Dunke <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Vanessa Dunke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 01:33:33 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Message From Miss Vanessa Dunke
Message From Miss Vanessa Dunke
Please permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I
contacted you after going through your profile, I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to its esteeming nature and the recommendations given to me as a reputable and trust worthy person that I can do business with and by the recommendation, I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.
I am Miss Vanessa Dunke the only daughter of late Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Dunke. My father was a very preeminent oil and gas entrepreneur before his death. He also had extensive investments in real estate; my father was poisoned to death by his business associates. My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so special. Before the death of my father, he secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of Ten million, five hundred thousand United State Dollars. USD ($10,500,000.00) left in fixed / suspense account in one of the prime bank that he used my name as his only
daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of the fund. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates, That I should seek for a foreign partner in any country of my choice where i will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose such as real estate investment, Hotel management or any investment of my choice.
Dear, I am honorably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
To provide a bank account into which this money would be transferred to.
To serve as a guardian of this fund and the investment.
To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my
education and to secure a resident permit in your country.
Moreover, Dear, i am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation for your effort after the successful transfer of this fund into your nominated bank account in overseas. Furthermore, you indicate your
options towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction would be concluded within few days.
Anticipating hearing from you soon.