fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Dakare Uwem." <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2018 16:31:13 +0200
THIS MAIL IS ONLY FOR THE OWNER OF THIS E-MAIL ADDRESS
Office of the Presidency Debt & Accrued Interest Reconciliation Committee
AGREEMENT REACHED FOR YOUR PAYMENT TODAY.
In view of Bilateral Agreement between the United Nation, with the giants of the European Union and Ecowas, on abandoned Debt.
This is incognance with the world economic crisis disused in recent meeting held with the world bank delegates on matters concerning our Foreign investors/ beneficiaries who were denied of their payment, which we have received many reports that our foreign beneficiaries they were unable to receive their funds by some institutions.
We have concluded every arrangements for your payment and you are urgently advise not to make any further payment to any ministry or co-operate bodies, and also you are therefore advise for your best inters from now to suspend any further Communication with any office except us
We shall inform you the new authorized co-operate body that are charge of your payment as soon as we receive your reply.
Anticipate prompt response. Remember to include your cell phone number, your address,
your ID Driver's License or Int' Passport, Amount being owed to you.
Senior Special Adviser on Foreign Payment