fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "swift card consultant payment center" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DR Sharma Steven " <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "DR Sharma Steven " <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 13:28:30 +0900 (JST)
Subject: SCAMMED VICTIM/$2.5 MILLION BENEFICIARY.REF/PAYMENTS CODE:06654
SCAM VICTIM COMPENSATION PAYMENT VIA ATM CARD
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK/UNITED NATIONS
COMPENSATIONS PAYMENTS DIRECTIVE
SCAMMED VICTIM/$2.5 MILLION BENEFICIARY.REF/PAYMENTS CODE:06654 $2.5MILLION USD
This is to bring to your notice that I am delegated from the United Nations and Standard Chartered Bank to pay 100 Africa scam victims $2.5 Million each, you are listed and approved for this payments as one of the scammed victims,get back to us as soon as possible for the immediate payments of your $2.5 Million compensations funds.
On this faithful recommendations, I want you to know that during the last UN meetings held at Washington dc Capital Of it was alarmed so much by the rest of the world in the meetings on the lose of funds by various foreigners to the scams artists operating in syndicates all over the world today,in other to retain the good image of Africa,the president of the UNITED NATION is now paying 100 victims of this operators $2.5Million USD each,Due to the corrupt and inefficient banking systems in Africa,the payments are to be paid by Standard Chartered Bank as corresponding paying bank under funding assistance by the National Westminster bank London.
According to the number of applicants at hand,56 beneficiaries has been paid,half of the victims are from the United States and Asia,we still have more 44 left to be paid the compensations of $2.5Million each. Your particulars was mentioned by one of the syndicates who was arrested in Africa as one of their victims of the operations,you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to them for any reason what so ever,the US secret service is already on trace of the
criminal,You can receive your compensations payments via ATM CARD PAYMENT.
Furthermore you are advice to reconfirm you billing address include your full name and direct contact telephone number to the Managing Director of Swift Card Consultant Payment Center for the certified ATM Card, the contact information is as follows:
MANAGING DIRECTOR SWIFT CARD
STANDARD CHARTERED BANK
DR Sharma Steven
Email:( email@example.com )
TEL PHONE: +234 8026560266
Call him immediately you get this mail to enable him speed up for your ATM payment Card. NB: contact the Managing Director Swift Card Consultant Payment Center immediately with the necessary information required from you so that they will commence on processing.
Mr Jacob Benson