fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Jamie Watts" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 01:46:39 -0700
Subject: RELEASE OF YOUR FUND AS INSTRUCTED BY THE FBI.
In a recent meeting held with the new FBI Director concerning debt reconciliation, the new U.S president Mr. Donald J. Trump has given an order to release all the outstanding overdue contract payments, winning prizes, compensation funds etc. which the Obama administration refused to pay to their respective beneficiaries over the past 8yrs.
Following the records on my desk, it was revealed this morning that you are among the beneficiaries that have not received their fund due to the strict policies of the past administration. Meanwhile the total amount that will be released to you is ($2.8Million) which will come via Global Automatic Teller Machine Debit Master Card as instructed by the FBI headquarters. However, the below information is needed as to enable the profiling of your ATM Card and its delivery to you:
Underneath is the contact information of appointed dispatch person whom you are to forward the above requested details:
Contact Person: Mr.Fred R.Johnson
Once we receive this information, we will proceed without delay.