fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Chris Eze <WWWW.@hop.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: Chris Eze <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2018 18:32:10 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Re: The Delivery Agent Is Presently At Dallas Fort Worth Texas With
Reg No: CAF/XX/102/
Re: The Delivery Agent Is Presently At Dallas Fort Worth Texas With Reg No: CAF/XX/102/
Complement Of The Season Sir.
I want to acknowledged you that we have finally succeeded in getting your
package worth$B!G(Bs of $7.500,000.00USD out of (ECWAS) Economic Community of West
African States department with the help of Mr Jamen George Attorney General of
Federal High Court of Justice Cotonou Benin Republic which act as your foreign
Attorney representative here in Benin Republic
So every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with the Agent
deparker of the Consignment Box and every Documents guiding your delivery is
well updated so you are advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to
the Agent right now as he is currently at Dallas Fort Worth Texas USA with your
Consignment Box, As he called me this morning to inform me that he misplaced
your delivery address which he has due to CUSTOMS /FBI/ CIA and POLICE
searching and scanning on the Box as if he is a terrorist there in your country
but finally I thank God that they have confirmed that his movement is clear and
genue with out any suspicious intentions to your country only to deliver this
Consignment Box to you and the documents are updated as I earlier told you.
So you are advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat
and call him on +1 310 276 0305 so as to have easy conversation with him and to
enable you give him full direction to get your Consignment Box delivered to you
and hand you over your Consignment Box safe and sound, Furthermore you are
advice to be very fast as the Delivery Agent has no time to waste due to his
flight ticket expiration,
So the Information you are Required to Reconfirm to the Agent is as Follow.
(1)Your Full Name=============
(2)Mobile Phone Number======
(3)Current Home Address========
(7)Nearest Airport==============as he is at Dallas Fort Worth Texas Int'l
Airport USA right now because of the Searching and Scanning of the Consignment
which made him to misplace your address
(8)A Copy of Your I D For Identification.
So contact him via his email address, Contact person, Name Agent Mr.Desmond
Favour Email Address (email@example.com) So contact him to deliver
your consignment box first thing in the morning, So get back to us immediately
you contact the Agent to make sure that your fund has getting to you without
any hitch, Furthermore remember the Agent delivering the Consignment Box does
not know the content of that consignment box is money, Because the Attorney
which represented you at (ECWAS) registered it as a family value to avoid hitch
during the delivery so unknown circumstances should you let him know the
content of that consignment box is $7.500,000.00 USD to avoid lost of your fund
as your Consignment was Sign and Stamp by Federal Ministry of Justice to make
sure that it is protected until it gets to you.
BELLOW IS YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX DETAILS:
CONSIGNMENT CODE: CAF/XX/102/
CONSIGNMENT BOX VALUED THE SUM OF ($7.500,000.00 USD) SEVEN MILLION FIVE
HUNDRED AND THOUSAND USD ONLY.
THE RIGHT HAND SIDE SECURITY KEY CODE NUMBER IS: 9025.
THE LEFT HAND SIDE SECURITY KEY CODE NUMBER IS: 9550.
The Director of DHL Courier Company Benin Republic.