fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "clearance fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: FEDERAL RESERVE BANK <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 00:04:15 +0100
Subject: NOTIFICATION OF CREDIT FROM BANK FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD NEW YORK.
FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK
(Serving The Second District And The Nation)
33 LIBERTY STREET NEW YORK, NY 10045. USA
WEBSITE: WWW.NY.FRB.ORG//Our Ref: FRB/NY/TDT/US/XX15
NOTIFICATION OF CREDIT FROM BANK FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD NEW YORK.
This to Notify you that Series of meetings have been held over the past 6 m=
onths with the Secretary General of the United Nations Organization, which =
ended 2 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which =
is now in the amount of $11,000,000.00 USD (Eleven Million United States Do=
llars) as a compensation award to you, due to past corrupt Governmental Off=
icials who almost held your fund to themselves for their selfish reasons an=
d some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt =
to swindle your fund which has led to unnecessary delay in the receipt and =
so many losses from your end.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and =
Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a mandate to the c=
urrent Chairman Director Federal Reserve Bank New York USA Mrs. Janet Yelle=
n, to boost the exercise of clearing all foreign deberal owed to you and ot=
her individuals and organizations who have been found not to have received =
their Compensation Awards.
Now, how would you like to receive your payment? Because we have two method=
of payment which is by Check or by ATM card?
ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will=
use to withdraw up to $10,000 USD (Ten Thousand Dollars) per day from any =
ATM machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be ren=
ewed in 3 years time which is 2020. Also with the ATM card you will be able=
to transfer your funds to your local bank account. Even if you do not have=
a bank account, the ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to enlighten =
you about how to use it.
Check: A cashier check will be issued in your name and you will deposit it =
in your bank for it to be cleared within two working days.Your payment woul=
d be sent to you via any of your preferred option above and would be mailed=
to you via UPS. Normally, you were supposed to pay for clearance fees and =
Delivery fee but every charges as been waved, the only fee you will pay to =
the Accounts Department is just the Notarization charges.
Take note that you will have to stop communication with every other person =
if you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever =
have to spend is $350 USD only. nothing more! Nothing less! And we Guarante=
e the receipt of your Fund to be successfully Delivered to you within the n=
ext 48hrs after confirmation receipt fee of (UPS).
Note: Everything has been taken care of, including taxes, custom paper and=
clearance duty. So, all you will ever need to pay is $350.00 Dollars only.=
Apply Your Claims Promptly: For immediate release of your Fund valued at $=
11,000,000.00 USD (Eleven Million United States Dollars)
I want you to kindly submit the requested details following below to help=
us process your payment;
Your Full Name:_________________________
Your House Address:_________________________
Choose ONE Preferable Payment Method (Visa ATM Card OR Cashier Check):____=
Your package will be sent to you within two to three working days upon Con=
firmation receipt of UPS fee of $350.00 Dollars. We are so sure of everythi=
ng and we are giving you a 100% Money back Guarantee if you do not receive =
payment / package within the next 48hrs after you have made the payment for=
shipping. We also Hereby Issued You Our Code Of Conduct, Which Is (FRBNYAT=
M-2017) So You Have To Indicate This Code When replying back to us By Using=
It As Your Subject Because Of Impostors.
Thanks while we looking forward to serving you better.
NOTE : KINDLY GET BACK TO US TO GIVE YOU THE DELIVERY PAYMENT INFORMATION
Thanks and God bless you
Yours in Service,
Mr.William C. Dudley
Director Federal Reserve Bank New York, Leadership Bank Federal Reserve Boa=
rd helps build strong communities by creating opportunities for people - in=
cluding customers, shareholders and associates - to fulfill their dreams.