fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "loan amount" (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- "your loan " (Beware of fake loan offers. Real lenders would not normally use free webmail addresses such as Yahoo, nor would they lend to individuals or small businesses in a different country from where they are based. Beware of mobile phones or redirector numbers!)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (This email address looks like addresses used in fake loan scams. Be suspicious of any lender who uses a free webmail address or who is based in different country from yourself.)
- "email@example.com" (This email address looks like addresses used in fake loan scams. Be suspicious of any lender who uses a free webmail address or who is based in different country from yourself.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: SANLAM LOANS <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: SANLAM LOANS <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 18:52:23 +0200 (SAST)
Subject: 100th Anniversary Loan offer at 3.0% P. A
Dear Sanlam Subscriber,
Itâs my delight that I invite you to partake in our Sanlam Loans 3.0% offering this month of July 2018 as part of programs and offers marking SANLAM 100TH ANNIVERSARY (1918 - 2018) as we say Thank you for being part of our Journey!
Sanlam Loans provides Unsecured Loans, Bonds (Mortgage), Personal Finance, Vehicle Finance, Bridging Finance, Debt Consolidation at 3.0% per annun interest rate for the first 500 applications without any credit check (BLACKLISTED INDIVIDUALS CAN ALSO APPLY).
We specialize in same day payouts of long and short term cash loans ranges from R10 000 up to R5,000,000.00.
Benefits of choosing Sanlam Loans?
1. Get a loan from as little as R10,000.00 up to R5,000,000.00
2. Choose a repayment option from 12 to 120 months
3. Your loan is covered with our Loan Protection Plan (LPP); which covers you in the event of your death, permanent or temporary disability, unemployment or inability to earn an income.
4. Enjoy fixed interest rates, with no interest hikes.
TO APPLY FOR PERSONAL & HOME LOAN:
Kindly email firstname.lastname@example.org indicating:
Applicants Full Name, ID Number, Loan Amount, Monthly Income / Employer and Contact Phone Number of the Applicant.
TO APPLY FOR BUSINESS & COMMERCIAL LOAN:
Kindly email email@example.com indicating:
Business / Enterprise Name, CK Number / Registration number, Name & ID of Director(s) of the Business, Loan Amount & Contact person phone number
No Credit Checks - 24 Hours Approvals.
***Blacklisted Individuals and Commission Earners may also apply.
Mrs. Erna Wetzel
HEAD, Group Marketing
DISCLAIMER: The information in or attached to this e-mail message is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege and client confidentiality. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail or the authorized representative of the recipient then please notify the sender of this e-mail immediate
(C) Sanlam Loans 2018. All Rights reserved.