fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Vanessa Kouame <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Vanessa Kouame <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 20:34:53 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Von Vanessa Kouamee
Av Vanessa Kouamee
Jeg heter fru Vanessa Kouamee fra Abidjan Elfenbenskysten (Elfenbenskysten). Jeg er en 22 Ã¥r gammel jente foreldrelÃ¸s, som et resultat, jeg har ingen
foreldre, jeg har ($ 10,500,000.00 USD) 10,000,005 hundre tusen dollar,
som jeg arvet fra min avdÃ¸de far, han har penger i en fast / spenning lagret da jeg hadde konto hos en av de beste bankene i
Abidjan, min far brukte navnet mitt som eneste datter og eneste barn for de pÃ¥rÃ¸rende nÃ¥r han avsatt i fondet.
For det andre, Ã¥ akseptere meg fullt ut for dette formÃ¥let, vennligst
returner din interesse slik at jeg kan gi deg den nÃ¸dvendige
informasjonen og detaljer om hvordan du skal fortsette. Jeg gir deg 20% ââav pengene hvis du gir deg selv Ã¥ hjelpe meg.
Beste Ã¸nsker for deg og hele familien din hvis du kontakter meg for mer informasjon
Jeg trenger din hjelp, hvis du er sikker pÃ¥ Ã¥ hjelpe meg Ã¥ investere midler i fylket ditt, kontakt meg nÃ¥ for ytterligere detaljer.