fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MATHEW" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 05:12:39 -0700
Subject: ATM GOLD
Your ATM Gold Master Card of $16.2 million USD has been approved and was deposited to the United Nation Diplomatic Delivery Agent this morning for urgent delivery to your doorstep, and we agreed that the delivery of Your $16.2 Million USD ATM Package will take off tomorrow morning .
So contact with your full info where your ATM card will be delivered to such as:-
(1) Full name---------
(2) Mobile Number:--------------
(3) Direct telephone number------
(4) Country of origin:--------
(5) Your Current delivery address:----
(6) Occupation/ age/ sex-----
(7) City -------------------
Kindly get back to us today with your full address where your ATM Gold Master card will be delivered to, because i will not be in the office next week and The amount in your Card is US$16.2 Million and your Pin code will be release to you when you get your card for security reasons.
Please respond back to me ASAP
Thanks for adhering to this instruction.
Financial Conduct Authority