fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR.JOSEPH SCOTT" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 19:34:12 +0200
Subject: Attn: Your Abandoned Package For Delivery
Re: To Whom This May Concern.
I have very vital information to give to you, but first I must have your trust before I review it to you because it may cause me my job, so I need somebody that I can trust for me to be able to review the secret to you.
I am Mr.Joseph Scott, head of luggage/baggage storage facilities here at the McCarran International Airport,Nevada USA. During my recent withheld package routine check at the Airport Storage Vault, I discovered an abandoned shipment from a Diplomat from London and when scanned it revealed a disclosed sum of money in an ATM Card the sum of $7.8 Million United State Dollars authorized by the United Nation. The consignment was abandoned because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as âMONEYâ rather it was declared as lost card and to be returned to the owner to avoid interrogation and also the inability of the diplomat to pay for the United States Non Inspection Charges which is $3,700USD. On my assumption the consignment is still left in our Storage House here at the International Airport Nevada till date. The details of the consignment including your name, your email address and the official documents from the United Nations office in Geneva are been attached to the ATM Card while on transit to you but we have to contact and be sure we are in contact with the real representative of this consignment.
However, to enable me confirm if you are the actual recipient of this consignment as the assistant director of the Inspection Unit, I will advise you provide your current Phone Number and Full Address, to enable me cross check if it corresponds with the address on the official documents including the name of nearest Airport around your city. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have been returned to the United States Treasury Department as unclaimed delivery due to the delays in concluding the clearance processes so as a result of this, I will not be able to receive your details on my official email account. So in order words to enable me cross check your details, I will advise you send the required details to my private email address for quick processing and response. Once I confirm you as the actual recipient of the consignment parcel, I can get everything concluded within 48hours upon your acceptance and proceed to your address for delivery.
KINDLY FILL IN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
1)YOUR FULL NAME.:
2)CURRENT HOME ADDRESS.:
3)YOUR DIRECT TELEPHONE NUMBERS.:
5)YOUR DATE OF BIRTH/AGE:
8)YOUR OFFICE ADDRESS:
Lastly, be informed that the reason I have taken it upon myself to contact you personally about this abandoned consignment parcel is because I want us to transact this business and share the money 80% for you and 20% for me since the consignment has not yet been returned to the United States Treasury Department after being abandoned by the diplomat so immediately the confirmation is made, I will go ahead and pay for the United States Non Inspection Fee of $3,700 dollars and arrange for the Parcel to be delivered to your doorstep Or I can bring it by myself to avoid any more trouble but you have to assure me of my 20% share.
I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive and I will appreciate if we can keep this deal confidential. for further directives: You can call me on my telephone number: +1 347 812 0958 for verbal conversation. Please if am not available to accept your call, please and drop a message or send me a text to my phone number or rather you send me an email to.: ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Assistance Inspection Director
McCarran International Airport
Las Vegas Nevada,
WMO 72386, United States.