fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- manager rev. raymond d.hoover with below email address(email@example.com) (firstname.lastname@example.org ) thank you once again my (Aol; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Micky Dome" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 18:49:56 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: YOUR ATM VISA CARD PAYMENT NOTIFICATION
FROM THE USA HIGH COMMISSION,
Metro Plaza, Plot 991/992,
Zakari Maillart Street
Cadastral Zone AO,
Central Business District.
ATTN: My Dear
Good news,United State High Commission has actually verified and
discovered that your payment has been unnecessarily Delayed by corrupt
officials of the Company who are Trying to divert your fund of
$5.750,000,00 into their private accounts in Africa and we have ordered
by United Commission to get America GTB Bank atm visa card.
Therefore we have obtained an irrevocable payment guarantee on your
Payment with GTB Bank to make your payment through their new ATM CARD
system which you can use to withdraw your money in any ATM MACHINE
around your area.
So we are here by inviting you to our office to pick up your GTB ATM
VISA CARD but if you cannot be able to come down here in our office in
person be inform that you are going to pay for shipping fee of your ATM
visa CARD, so if you are unable to come down here then you are required
to update them, so that they will proceed with the necessary
arrangement for the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD.
As of now be informed that all arrangement has been done and canceled
and the ATM VISA CARD has be in your name, but to RE-ACTIVATE the ATM
Card you have to forward your current information as requested below to
the bank for the TD Bank ATM Card re-rectification, then they will send
you the GTB ATM CARD for your immediate use.
Here are the information you have to forward to the TD bank:
1. Your Full Names:______
2. Postal Address:_______
3. Direct Cell Numbers:_______
4. E-mail Address:________
Therefore you are advised to contact GTB Bank accountant Manager Rev.
Raymond D.Hoover with below Email address(firstname.lastname@example.org)
(email@example.com ) Thank you once again my good
friend, May God establishes you with this little compensation Jesus
CONTACT PERSON: Rev. Erastus Raymond Akingbola
Chief Executive Officer GTB Bank Pl c
Direct Hotline: +229-99578471
Get back to me once you received the ATM VISA CARD OK.
God Bless You.
MR. MICKY DOME