fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "economic and financial crimes commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:48:14 +0100
Subject: Attn: Scammed Victim,..Your Payment
EFCC/AFP REGIONAL ENGAGEMENT MEETING ON TRANSNATIONAL FRAUD FOR WEST
AFRICAN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
From The Office Of EFCC
Chairman MR. IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU
Address:No. 15A, Awolowo Road, Ikoyi, Lagos,
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC Nigeria in
Conjunction with The Federal Minister of Finance and is Excellency
President Mr Mohamed Buhari, Hold meeting today in respect of the
following crimes that has been going on for a while, internet fraud,
ATM hold up, Fund Transfer hold, Trunk Delivery and Lotto Wining
Hold.This was the complains that Mr. President received for months now
and he contacted the EFCC chairman Mr IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU
and ordered that she take action on this and treat all fills that
have been posted to her office but Mr. President Noticed that instead
of she taking action
as ordered and release the funds, she took advantage of her position
to extract money from clients and fails to release they funds to them.
This made Mr. President to Call an urgent meeting this morning and
remove her from her position. Please you can confirm this by going to
the website given
In view of this, I have been appointed to stand as the acting
President to this office and you are advice to send your full details
along with your contract payment amount that you are expecting to
receive e.g ATM/Wining/Delivery/ Transfer/ e.t.c. I need details of
your transaction and how much you have paid so far and the date of the
last payment made.Your fund/delivery will be release to you without
any delay and the proper and right step will be advice to you as we
here from you to enable you receive your payment delivery.
This office supersedes every other department in the CBN ,every other
banks in Nigeria and correspondence bank abroad and is thus
responsible for the final payment. The consequences of not heeding to
this warning would be yours.
Although we have been able to come up with some good result about the
people that have extorted money from you illegally and i wish to list
them so that you will personally indicate them by writing back because
we want to make your payment to you without any delay but we must
surely deal and bring this names to book if only you will indicate
correctly any of them.
The names of the Touts that have been arrested are as follows:
1)Dr.ken in U S A
2) PROF CHARLES SOLODO
3) CHIEF JOSEPH SANUSI
5) BARRISTER AWELE
6)BARRISTER UCHEUZO WILLIAMS.
7) DR. HANZ MUSSA UNION BANK (NIGERIA) PLC
8)Mr. Ernest Chukwudi Ebi
9)Mr Eric William Deputy Governor - Policy / Board Member
10) Mr. Tunde Lemo Deputy Governor - Financial Sector Surveillance /
11)MR CUPPA ACOKA. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA.
12) MR.JOHN MIKE/ THE DIPLOMATIC AGENT
14)MR GEORGE PETERS
15)MR. PETER.JOSEPH EXECUTIVE/ REMITTANCE DIRECTOR GUARANTY TRUST BANK PLC
17}Mr John Eze Pay Master General
18)Mrs Farida W Waziri Former EFCC Chairman
Dr Sanusi Lamido Former Governor Of CBN
The above listed names are been traced/investigated by our team and
some of them have elope the country and note that if any of them is
caught and find guilty he/she will go to jail for 25 years (twenty
five years) as it is under the Degree 47 of the constitution of
Nigeria under section of criminal law.
MR. IBRAHIM MUSTAFA MAGU
Executive Director (EFCC)