fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "National Westminster" (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 00:49:02 +0200

Attention pls,
I am Mohad I Kwame, presently the current Manager at the National Westminster Bank Capital (London. I need a reliable and honest person to handle a very confidential transaction, which involves transfer of a huge sum of money to a foreign account.
A foreigner (LATE ENGR NAZIR RUZU) an oil Merchant /contractor, before his sudden death some years ago in a ghastly author crash deposited with my bank a closing balance of USD$10.2M: which, I successfully kept with instruction that it MUST be released to the BENEFICIARY [YOU]. Now, the bank expects the money to be claimed by the beneficiary as instructed.
Though valuable efforts were been made to get in touch with any of late Engr's relative or next of kin, but all to no avail, Now some board of directors wants to confiscate the money or declare it Bank's money. However, in order to avert this negative development, that is why, I seek for your permission to PRESENT YOU as the next of kin so that the fund, USD$10.2M, would subsequently paid into your bank account as the (beneficiary). I KNOW HE IS NOT RELATED TO YOU BUT THE ENTIRE DOCUMENT WILL BE PERFECTED TO SUIT YOUR NAME AS THE BENEFICIARY.
All documents and proves to enable you get this fund have been carefully worked out and I am assuring you 100% risk free involvement. Your share would be 30% of the total amount. While the rest 70% would be for me, which I can invest in your country. Kindly get back to me immediately.
Moham I Kwame,
National Westminster Bank
TEL. +447700029586

Anti-fraud resources: