fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "money laundering" ("anti-terrorist", "anti-money laundering" or "drug-free" certificates are a common way for criminals in fake lottery scams and other Advance Fee scams to get you to send money to them. There are no such certificates in the real banking world. )
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Jendy Green" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 10:38:15 -0800
Subject: Re.Delivery Advice.
Debt Funds Recovery Unit United States Department of the Treasury
Washington DC 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW ;
Washington , DC 20220
Tel. (858) -256-8924
We are "The Foreign Assets Treasure Lodgings of the United States , supplementary of the U.S. Department of the Treasury Washington, DC. Our motive is to monitor large funds coming into the United States in whatever package or format via Electronically or Consignment Baggage thus I ponder on facts to get your attention.
Understand that we do not need to provide you with any more information as our first email to you explains it all. Its with immense pleasure that I deem necessary to enlighten you more over our diligent and proactive services as commitment to the American citizens to serve with our heart and might in discharge of our duties because we are governed by principles and policies that must not be violated by any person or
group of person s , and the state of affairs to which our policies are established is very unprecedented and dose not need to suit any person as its a matter of whether or not you like our conception you have to adhere to our instructions to you.
Be well informed that before we commence the delivery of your consignment baggage to your bank or residence, the legal paperwork that will back off unnecessary stir up from the United States Customs Service and the Internal Revenue Service IRS of the United States has to be obtained known as 'Stamp of Duty Paperwork and Permission Order Paperwork to avert the categorizing of your consignment baggage as smuggled illegal item into the country for the finance of terrorist attacks or Money Laundering due to SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 ATTACK ON AMERICA, a disaster that every American detest in our memory because it a stigma to our independence rights " terrorism they say
is the third world war". In order words the paperwork are to be obtained from the country origin of the fund Benin Republic, by Attorney in charge Named: Harry James
Secondly, we ensure that our clients are well informed and acquainted with our codes of conducts and that is the facts that the Foreign Assets Treasure Lodgings of U.S. Department of the Treasury Washington DC can only accommodate your consignment box in the pecuniary vault of the treasury for the maximum period of ten working days, and If the baggage deposit period exceeds ten working days without being cleared
out of the vault, the Foreign Assets Treasure Lodgings will automatically impose demur rage accumulated charges over the consignment, and the charges are to be paid before the consignment baggage will be released and delivered to your residence or bank.
Basically the obtaining fees of the above listed paperwork will be detailed on your reply, as to avert the police of imposing your consignment with accumulated demur-rages, you are advice to reply urgently with your informations as listed below.
1. Full Name; .....
2. Your current address; ..........
3. Your phone number; ..............
4. Nearest airport to your location.........
5. Your passport id; ............
So that Attorney: Harry James will use the informations you will provide to secure the update paper.
Be advice not to give room for the accumulate demur-rage charges to be imposed on your consignment due to fact that the limit time given to wrap-up this transaction will elapse only in ten (10) official office working days. Therefore I will advice that you adhere to my instruction and guidelines to you and everything will work perfectly. When your funds was being counted and arranged into the consignment box therefore i
will advise you comply and follow our instruction for immediate delivery of total funds to you. The paperwork's will be obtained by the attorney in charge Named: Harry Jane, in this regards you have to wire the fee that will be required to the origin country of the approved sum Benin Republic to Harry James via Money Gram or western union at the receipt of this correspondence.
Be informed that at the receipt of the paperwork from the attorney. We will not hesitate to provide our accredited diplomat agent that can deliver your consignment worth the sum of $12.9Millions without any hitches and you will get the fund within 15hours.
I will be expecting your swift and expedited response shortly.
God Bless America