fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Travis" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 07:05:48 +0100
Subject: Dear Beneficiary.Final Funds Release Order
This is to bring to your notice that i am a delegate from the (I.M.F) (International Monetary Fund and United Nations here in United State Of America Regional payment Office to pay 427 scam victims$10,600.000.00 USD ATM MASTER CARD (Ten Million Six Hundred Thousand Dollars only) each.
You are listed and approved for this payment as one of the scammed victims to be paid this amount,get back to me as soon as possible for the immediate payments of your $10,600.000.00 USD ATM MASTER CARD compensations funds.on this faithful recommendations, i want you to know that during the last (I.M.F.)meetings held at untied state of America, it was alarmed so much by the world in the meetings on the lost of funds by various individual to scam artist operating in syndicates all over the world today.
In other to compensate these victims, the (I.M.F) Body is now paying 521 victims of this operators $10,600.000.00 USD each in accordance with the ( I.M F) recommendations. due to the corrupt and in-efficient Banking Systems in united states of America, the payments are to be paid by (I.M.F) officials sitting at (I.M.F)(International Monetary Fund) here in America Payment Office as corresponding payment center under funding assistance by (I.M.F) body.
According to the number of applicants at hand, 274 Beneficiaries has been paid, half of the victims are from the United States and under part of the world, and we still have more 267 left to be paid the compensations of $10,600.000.00 USD each. your particulars was mentioned by one of the Syndicates who was arrested as one of their victims of the operations, you are hereby warned not to communicate or duplicate this message to him for any reason what so ever as the U.S. Secret service is already on trace of the other criminals. So keep it secret till they are all apprehended.
Other victims who have not been Contacted can submit their application as well for scrutiny and possible consideration.,at this point you are advise to contact our authorized payment unit in charge to enable him commence with the deliver of your funds immediately with the information
DATE OF BIRTH .....
Payment Officer Mr Travis Alex
Please you are advice to stop any communication with any person or Body that you are currently paying money to due to transaction which you have on-line with the person.Please let us know right now via email or telephone your present dealing on-line, so we can help you verify the authenticity of the transaction which you are presently involved in, so that you will not get scammed. Please also send me prof of payment in any previous scam.If you still have any,(optional).
I shall feed you with further modalities as soon as you contact me.
Thanks for your Co-operation.
Mr Travis Alex
International Monetary Funds (I.M.F)