fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Victoria Jina" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 05:14:05 +0100
Subject: From Mrs.Victoria Jina
My Greetings to you,
I sent this mail praying for it to reach you in good health, since I
myself are in a very critical health condition in which I sleep every
night without knowing if I may be alive to see the next day. I am
Mrs.Victoria Jina. And aging widow suffering from long time illness. I
have some funds I inherited from my late husband, the sum of ($18.5
Million Dollars) And I needed a very honest and sincere person
Individual or cooperate organization that will use the fund for work
I want you to take 40% of the total money for your personal use While
60% of the money will go to charity" people in the street and helping
the orphanage. I grow up as an Orphan and I don't have anybody as my
family member, just to endeavour that the house of God is maintained.
Am doing this so that God will forgive my sins and accept my soul
because these sicknesses have suffered me so much. My late Husband
made me to understand that Is good to remember the orphanage home the
widows and the poor in need, He saw me the day he came to visit the
orphanage home and ask of my hand in marriage ,I have to follow his
steps and help the orphanage home,
I don't want a situation where this money will be used in an ungodly
way. This is why I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death
hence I know where I am going. I know that I am going to be in the
bosom of the LORD. Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my
case and I shall hold my peace". I don't need any telephonic
communication in this regard because of my health condition and the
presence of my late husband's relatives around me always trying to
claim this money from me which my husband left for me. I don't want
them to know about this development. With God all things are possible.
I found your email address from the Human resources data base and
decided to contact you. Please if you would be able to use the funds
for the work of humanity as i have stated here To fulfilled my late
husband wishes please,
Try to check your spam box because most of these correspondences fall
out sometimes in SPAM folder.
kindly reply me back immediately through this my private email address
for security purposes ( email@example.com )