fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd)." (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 21:08:11 -0200
- I am writing you this email in good faith but considering the content, I know you will be apprehensive and worried but I am assuring you that, it is made in good faith despite the fact that the internet world has been invaded and taken over by dishonest people.
- I intend to re-profile some large sum of funds to you that's currently with my bank in Indonesia for safe keeping and for possible profitable investment windows in your country as would be advised by you. I will avail you the details upon receipt of your response.
- Anticipating to hear from you.
Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd).