fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Joseph Jeffrey " <JefferywwwJ.ww.wwwWwww.Attorneywwwwwww.@aioros.ocn.ne.jp>
Reply-To: Dave Labarra <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:18:44 +0900 (JST)
Subject: MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS IMPORTANT MESSAGE
Congratulations my dear Friend!!
This is to inform you that my God has done it for me, Remember the transaction i contacted you few months ago that we failed to finish later got connected to a new partner who helped to execute the transaction successfully, I left Benin On Thursday last week for London, its sad that we couldn't achieve this great success together
But I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting the fund transferred to a Swiss Account with the cooperation of a new partner from UK who is an international businessman and a business investor.
As Christians we must learn to have trust with each other despite what that is happening in the world today, if you go to Hebrews 6:18 - it says "So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. In Luke 16:10 - it says "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much." In the book of 1 Timothy 1:19 â it says "Cling to your faith in Christ, and keep your conscience clear. For some people have deliberately violated their consciences; as a result, their faith has been shipwrecked".
Why I cited the above verses are to underscore the importance of TRUST, TRUTH and HONESTY and for us to succeed in life, we must follow this concept as Christians and learn to trust one another although we can only trust God almighty the creator of heaven and earth and one God forever.
But my only advise to you as a matured man in case on another time, in life that whenever you are doing something with your rational mind as a matured person you are, It is not all the bad advises/ thoughts and suggestions that comes your way that you should accept because in life opportunity comes only but once, there is mo pain without gain, You should always sieve the advice's to know the one that is good and will be profitable to you because in life there are so many individuals who are just enemies of progress just for no reasons at all but because they don't like good things and wouldn't want to see others have it.
However, I have not forgotten your effort then and this is to inform you that I have kept USD$500,000.00 cashier check ( Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars) with my manager David Labarr as a compensation for you, please kindly contact him immediately with your address inorder to send you the cheque, I am in UK right now together with my partner.
Contact David Labarr
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PH: +229 63353602
Ask him to send you the check I kept for your compensation and my appreciation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time so much.
Finally, remember that I had forwarded instruction to the David Labarr on your behalf for you to receive that check and he will send the amount to you without any delay. Dave will also send attache scan copy of the check for you to review before mailing it.
With best Wish
Joe Jeffery ESQ