fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Ibrahim Mustafa Magu" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 06:47:00 +0100
Subject: ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC) ..
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT,
I am Mr.Ibrahim Mustafa Magu the chairman of ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC). EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria. We have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam Artists in Western part of Africa,Europe,Asia and America
With the help of United States Government and the United Nations.
We have been able to track down so many of this scam artist in various parts of west African and Europe and Asia countries.
We have been able to recover so much money from these scam artists. The United Nation Anti-crime commission and the United State Government have ordered the money recovered from the Scammers to be shared among 100 Lucky people around the globe.
This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam Artists file and computer hard disk in our custody here in Nigeria and with the information gathered from this Scam artist, we notice that you have been scammed of so much money and have decided to compensate you with a little token to recover the lost of your fund. You are therefore being compensated with the total sum $4.5 Million Dollars. We have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers, bank officials, Lottery Agents who has money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such funds which does not exist.
Since your Email appeared among the lucky beneficiaries who will receive a compensation of US$4.5 Million, we have made arrangement to register an Master Atm Card through our Global Bank, where you will have full access to your Master Atm Card,to transfer your fund personally to your Master Atm Card with no complication of things or questioning as the Master Atm Card will be fully registered in your Name.
Provide the information bellow to enable the processing of your
Master Atm Card for deposition of your total compensated fund.
1)YOUR FULL NAME.
3)YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.
Contact us with the information required for verification to enable us start the processing of your Master Atm Card Registration.
We guarantee your safety and wish you the best of luck.
Mr.Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT,
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/BULK folder, that
is because of the restrictions 23:45:32 by your Internet
Service Provider, we (EFCC) urge you to treat it genuinely.