fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "email@example.com" (this email address looks like addresses used in "ATM SWIFT card" scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MrsMr.FRANK JAMES X" <xx@yy>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 01:01:52 -0800
Subject: YOUR PAYMENT VIA A. T. M CARD NOTICE
Due to the Federal Government new Policy to fight corruption. I want to bring to your Notice that the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, has Mandated that all the Overdue Foreign Payment should be Paid to the Beneficiary.
We are very sorry for all the stress/Fees you spent to the Fraudulent Officials who claim to be a Good Nigeria,
Nigerian Image has been tarnished in the eye of the International Authorities, so Mr President Has Promised the International Authorities in the G8 Summit Meeting held in South Africa recently,
that he will make sure that all the Payment owed by Nigerian Government will be paid to the Foreign Beneficiary without any Further Delay.
I want to Inform you that A Certified Draft of ( US$2M } or ATM Card or wire transfer will be Made available to you,
therefore we Request you to Reconfirm the Information as stated Bellow:
(1) YOUR FULL NAME / ADDRESS
(2) YOUR DIRECT TEL/FAX NUMBER
(3) YOUR NATIONALITY / IDENTITY CARD
(4) YOUR AGE
(5) YOUR OCCUPATION.
(6) MODE OF PAYMENT
( ATM CARD OR CERTIFIED DRAFT or wire transfer) Choose one Mode of Payment.
You should reply Immediately with the Information if you really want to receive this Certified Draft or ATM Card or wire transfer before the Closing Date,
Reply Directly to the Bellow Email Address: (email@example.com) and Let Me Know Your Stands as well as sending the Information.
Thanks For Your Understanding,