fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "DR.MRS. M. A.. SMITH" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 05:50:55 -0500
Subject: INDIAN BUSINESS INQUIRY
YOUR KIND ATTENTION:
I sincerely apologize if I am interfering on your privacy. I am Dr. Maureen Smith. I work with AMAG Pharmaceutical INC. U.S.A, I got your contact information during an on line marketing/business research to India. I am contacting you for a supply business in India. My company currently is very desperate to have supply of this particular product that I will introduce to you later, immediately, but at present there is no manufacturer or supplier known to my company that can supply the much needed product to them.
Presently they are scouting for local manufacturer for supply anywhere. Through my own personal contact, I have the contact of a Local Manufacturer in India whose company has the exact product that my company is looking for. This is information is from a very reliable source. The price of the product there is 1,960USD in India while my company buys at 3,990USD, which was price they got supplied about 4 months ago and my company is desperately looking for where to get supply now.
I need a reliable and trustworthy person/company in India to handle this profitable business for our mutual benefits. I will link you up with my company as the new Local Dealer/supplier of the product. You will purchasing the product from the Main Local Manufacturer in India at 1,960USD and be supplying directly to my company at the rate of 3,990USD which the last prize my company purchased the product about 4 months ago. You will deal directly with my company and the supply will be done only there in India as they will be ready to visit for supplies.
I will guide you perfectly as insider/partner. This will be a face to face business with my company and it is 100% genuine and nothing illegal. You will give 40% of every profit you make after every supply. Kindly contact me for more details via this Email: email@example.com
Dr. Maureen Smith