fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 21:36:18 +0100
Subject: ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION EFCC.
FROM THE DESK OF: MR. IBRAHIM MAGU CHAIRMAN OF ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISION (EFCC).
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC). EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria. We have been working very hard towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam Artists in Western part of Africa With the help of United States Government and the United Nations and some corrupt official administrators Mr Ibrahim Lamorde has been sacked who happen to be the former EFCC chairman.
This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam Artists file and computer hard disk in our custody here in Nigeria and with the information gartered from this Scam artist, we notice that you have been scammed of so much money and we have decided to compensate you with a little token to recover the lost of your funds. You are therefore being compensated with the total sum $ 10.5 Million Dollars. We have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers,bank officials, Inheritance, Lottery Agents who has money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such funds which does not exist.
Since your name appeared among the lucky beneficiaries who will receive a compensation of US $ 10.5 Million, we have made arrangement to register an Online Banking With the Glacier Bank USA through our Global Bank, where you will have full access to your Online Banking Account Fund, to transfer your fund personally to your Private Bank Account with no complication of things or questioning as the Account will be fully registered in your Name.
Feel free to contact the processing officer MR WILLIAMS OKAFOR. The online Banking Processing have been made much easier for you to transfer your fund to your private Bank Account personally, to avoid any delay or complication of things. With this Online Banking Transfer Processing, you can only transfer the Maximum Amount of US $ 1,000.000 daily installmentally until the total amount of your Compensated deposited fund is transferred and completely paid to you and also if you choose to receive your payment VIA ATM CARD its is still accepted so you get back to her with your choice of payment.
So you are advice to contact, processing officer MR WILLIAMS OKAFOR with your provided information required for verification below so you can proceed in opening of your account with the Glacier Private Bank in USA.
CONTACT PERSON: MR WILLIAMS OKAFOR
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
CELL PHONE: +234 902-553-8561
Provide the information below to enable the processing of your Online Banking Account with Glacier Private Bank In USA for deposition of your total compensated funds
1) YOUR FULL NAME.
2) YOUR ADDRESS.
3) YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4) YOUR OCCUPATION?
5) YOUR IDENTITY/ PASSPORT I.D
Contact MR WILLIAMS OKAFOR with the information required for verification to enable him start the processing of your Online Banking Account Registration.
We guarantee your safety and wish you the best of luck.
Note: Our Official email will be provided to you as soon as you contact Mr Williams Okafor.
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME
COMMISSION (EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT.