fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Nidia Bustamante <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Nidia Bustamante <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 12:14:56 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Stop Contacting Those People From Africa Because They Are All
Attn: My Dear,
I am Mrs. Nidia Marisela Juarez Bustamante,Am a single mother of two, am a US citizen, I reside here in Harlingen Texas. My residential address is as follows. 7901 W BUSINESS 83 LOT #1 HARLINGEN TEXAS 78552-0000, United States. am thinking of relocating since I am now rich. I am one of those that took part in the Compensation in Cotonou, Benin Republic many years ago and they refused to pay me, I had paid over US$35,000 while in the US, trying to get my payment all to no avail. So I decided to keep trusting God for a miracle because Almighty God never fails. One faithful morning, i received an email from Lasayeth Young of which he told me that he is the member of VALLEY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION & also a member of the COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE in Alabama, USA, and he explained everything to me. He said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake from Africa are all fake.
He helped me to claim my Compensation payment. Right now I am the most happiest woman on earth because I have received my compensation funds of $3.5 Million US Dollars Moreover, Barrister Lasayeth Young, showed me the full information of those that are yet to receive their payments and I saw your email address as one of the beneficiaries, that is why I decided to email you to stop dealing with those people, they are not with your fund, they are only making money out of you. I will advise you to contact Barrister Lasayeth Young.
You have to contact her directly on this information below.
COMPENSATION AWARD HOUSE
Name : Barrister Lasayeth Young
Email : email@example.com
Direct Telephone: 816-542-0096
You really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing. The only money I paid after I met Barrister Lasayeth Young was just US$350 for the paper works, take note of that. As soon as you contact him he will send you the payment information which you are to use in sending the payment to him in order for him to obtain the documents from the court of law there in Alabama so that your fund can be transfer to you without any delay just the way mine was being transfer to me.
Send him the following details if you know you are ready to have your FUNDS so that as soon as he receive your information he will send to you the payment details for sending him the $350 USD that is needed for him to get the document that is needed to make the transfer a successful one and that is that only payment i made to Barrister Lasayeth Young and he helped me in the transferring of my FUNDS and i must say that you have to contact him so that he will help you the way he helped me to Get my FUNDS without any further payment.
Fill out the information to him if you are ready to get your FUNDS
Your Full Name:...............
Once again stop contacting those people, I will advise you to contact Barrister Lasayeth Young so that he can help you to Deliver your fund instead of dealing with those liars that will be turning you around asking for different kind of money to complete your transaction.
Thank You and Be Blessed.
Mrs. Nidia Marisela Juarez Bustamante.
7901 W BUSINESS 83 LOT #1 HARLINGEN
TEXAS 78552-0000, United States,
My Mobile Number: (202) 734-6321