fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- od vás. s pozdravem, pane simon lee soukromá pošta: firstname.lastname@example.org bezpecný email: email@example.com (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Moneta Money Bank" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 08:53:46 -0000
Subject: INVESTICNÍ BANKOVNÍ INVESTICE
Se ví úctou, jmenuji se pan Simon Lee Jsem hlavní financní úredník paní Meng Wanzhouové (Huawei Finance Chief) Kdo byl neoprávnene zadren v Kanade za Bogus a smené poplatky kvuli obchodnímu sporu, který práve probíhá s USA -Cína.
Proto se muj éf rozhodl presunout vechny své prostredky ze svého sporicího úctu v Kanade, a proto bychom vám rádi tyto peníze poslali na investicní úcely a úschovu ve vaí zemi. Cím se ivíte? Budou fondy bezpecné? Jaké máte investicní nápady?
Muj éf by rád investoval do dobrého obchodu nebo nemovitostí ve vaí zemi. Celkem vám bude zasláno celkem 8 milionu dolaru kanadských dolaru, co je pribline 6 milionu amerických dolaru nebo 5,3 milionu EUR.
Prosím, dejte mi vedet, jestli to zvládnete? Pokud mi muete poslat své kontaktní údaje soukromý e-mail, soukromé císlo bunky a co je císlo aplikace atd. Peníze jsou 100% legální. Pro prenos a vai pomoc vak vyadujeme nejvyí duvernost. Nechceme, aby byla zapojena tretí strana. Rozumí? Teíme se na jednání od vás.
Pane Simon Lee
Soukromá pota: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bezpecný email: email@example.com
With all due respect, My name is Mr. Simon Lee i am the chief financial officer to Mrs. Meng Wanzhou (Huawei Finance Chief) Who was wrongfully detained in Canada for Bogus and ridiculous charges due to the trade dispute currently going on now with US-China.
Therefore, my boss has decided to move all her funds out of her savings account in Canada we therefore would like to send this money to you for investment purposes and safekeeping in your country. What do you do for a living? Will the funds be safe? What investments ideas do you have?
My boss would like to invest in a good business or Real Estate in your country. A total of $8 Million Canadian dollars will be sent to you That is around US$6 Million United State Dollars or EURO 5.3 Million Euro I will give you 50% of the total amount for your assistance
Please let me know if you can handle it? If you can send me your contact details private email, private cell number and Whats app number etc. The money is 100% legal. But we require the upmost confidentiality for the transfer and your assistance. We dont want any third party involved. Do you understand? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Mr. Simon Lee
Private mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Secure Email: email@example.com