fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- assigned special agent: mr. will graham email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com looking forward to hear (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "SIR CHRISTOPHER WRAY" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 03:38:52 +0800
Subject: FBI ALERT!
OFFICIAL LETTER FROM FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION FBI
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR FBI FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
FBI SEEKING TO WIRETAP INTERNET
We the Federal Bureau of investigation (FBI) through our intelligence-monitoring network have discovered that the transaction that the bank contacted you previously for was legal. Recently the fund has been legally approved to be paid via Bank of America. So, we the Federal Bureau of investigation (FBI) Washington Dc, in conjunction with the United Nations (UN) financial department have investigated through our monitoring network noting you that your transaction with the Bank of America is legal.
You have the legitimate right to complete your transaction to claim your fund $10.7 (Ten million seven hundred thousand united state dollars) Because of so much scam going on Internet. We the Federal Bureau of investigation decided to contact the CARGO LOGISTICS COURIER DELIVERY SERVICE, for They to give us their procedures on how to send this money to you without any further complain or delay. We just got an information from the Bank of America and they have loaded your $10.7 (Ten million seven hundred thousand united state dollars) in ATM MASTER CARD and submit to the CARGO LOGISTICS COURIER DELIVERY SERVICE for immediate delivery to your doorstep. You are required to choose one option, which you will be to pay and also convenient for you,For quick delivery of your parcel containing you?re ATM CARD and other two original back up documents.
We request that you reconfirm your mailing address to ensure conformity with our record for immediate dispatch of your parcel to you. Only valid residential/Office address and postal address are certified Ok.
DELIVERY DESTINATION INFORMATION:
------------------------------ -------------------- ---------- -
Receiver's Name: .......
Delivery Information/ Parcel Description
------------------------------ -------------------- ---------- -----------
Delivery Terms: International Delivery
Condition of Delivery: Priority Delivery
Consignment Note No: MI 49866-2110
Color of Parcel: ...Brown.
Total Weight: 2.1 kg
Total Net Weight: 1.7 kg
We are here to protect you from any problem till you receive your package; you can as well get in touch with the CARGO LOGISTICS COURIER DELIVERY SERVICE assigned to deliver this financial package to your doorstep. Below is the delivery company's contact information:
Assigned Special Agent: Mr. Will Graham
Looking forward to hear from you as soon as you receive this message.
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW Washington, DC
20535-0001 , USA