fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Tessy Francis" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 8 May 2019 09:07:27 -0700
Subject: Mrs.Tessy Francis
My name is Mrs. Tessy Francis and my husband name is Mr Francis George from Cote d'Ivoire , I am 62 years old, I am suffering from a long time Cancer of the breast. From all indication my condition is really deteriorating, and my Doctors have courageously advised me that I may not live beyond next month, this is Because the cancer stage has reached a critical stage.
I was brought up in a Motherless baby as home, and was married to my late husband for twenty years we have only one child his name is David. My husband and I are true Christians, but quite unfortunately, he Died on the 2017.
Before his death we were both born again Christians. My late husband Deposited the sum of 8.8 Million Euros in the bank here in Cote d'Ivoire Presently, I really need your assistance i want you to use this money to take care of my only son and also invested the money into a very good LUCRATIVE VENTURE of your choice that will be giving out proceeds to be distributed each year Among the charity organization, the poor and the motherless baby as, orphanage Homes and widows around. I must let you know that this was a very hard decision, But I had to take a bold step towards this issue because I have no further option.
I hope you will help see my last wishes come true. Please contact me at this email email@example.com