fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Dieter Zetsche" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: "Dr. Dieter Zetsche" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 06:07:05 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Chairman Board of Directors Mercedes-Benz.
Location-Mercedes-Benz; Daimler AG Corporate Headquarters Mercedesstr. 137 70327 Stuttgart Germany.
Congratulations to you as we bring to your notice, this year results of the MERCEDES BENZ COMPANY 2019 email draws, we know that some of you out there are die-hard lovers of Mercedes Benz, this promotional draws was held to thank all our active and non-active online customers, you may not have Voluntarily entered for this draws, but all participants were selected through a computer random ballot system drawn from email addresses and face book accounts of individuals and companies from all over the world. The draws were held on 1st of May 2019 and results are being officially announced today by our Coordinators. Your e-mail address, attached to ticket number 8873445672, with serial number 5349566 drew the lucky winning numbers 34172835-456 and consequently made you a winner in this year draws.
You have therefore won a lump sum of $2,500,000.00 Dollars (Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars Only) and a car, which is the winning payout for Category A winners for this year.
Congratulations Once Again!! Your prize money will be paid to you by our paying Bank near you through a secured and legitimate means.We understand they are lots of Scam and fraudulent activates, so we advise you in your best interest, to avoid mix up or controversially misplacement of any kind, we request that you keep the entire details of your prize strictly to yourself until the process of transferring your prize money to you has been completed, This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claiming or any scrupulous acts.
To ascertain the legitimacy and authenticity of your winning, send the below
Direct Telephone Number:
Date of birth:
Youâre winning Number:
Quote amount won:
Despite this favorable Prize, We are determined to have zero tolerance for any breach of the code of ethics and our winner his assured of privacy
Dr. Dieter Zetsche
Chairman Board of Directors Mercedes-Benz.
Copyright Â© 2019 MercedesBenz Inc