fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr Mrs Mariam" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2019 23:04:41 +0200
Subject: Dear Sir
Compliment of the day.This is my first mail to you as i left hospital after a brief illness that kept me away for sometime.Firstly my continues contacting you is because the spiritualist that pray for my family after prayer confirmed to me that you are honest,trustworthy and reliable,that is the main reason why i want to entrust you with this fund for investment in your country which you are going to be the foreign facilitator.
I wish also to reassured you that you will not regret doing this business with me.You should understand that once an individual is fighting with Government its always difficult with the person hence all my travel documents is seized by this government,all our account frozen and properties confiscated.
Already i have perfected an arrangement on how to transfer this fund to your account without problems.As soon as you confirm to me your willingness to receive this fund,i will give you the details to conclude this transaction bearing in mind that you will understand me very well.Meanwhile i want to also let you know that this business has nothing to do with scam or any illegal means.
Reply to this email address: email@example.com
Dr Mrs Mariam