fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Mark Phillip" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 20:29:07 +0000
Subject: Treat Urgent..!!
Thanks for your email and understanding,
This is about your unpaid funds which you should have receive a long time ago but was cover up by some court law officer and this is the time for you to receive it . We will start the process and make sure that you receive your payment of $10.5 Million (ten Million and Five hundred Thousand United States Dollars ). Which will be transferred to your nominated bank account or by Check/ATM Card and that you will receive it without delay understand.
Because there isn't much time to waste with sending you your payment. You are hereby adviced to work alongside with us to make sure that we deliver your payment to you without any further delay from us or from you .
As the Department of Homeland Security remittance payment officer who is to process your payment to you without any further delay and that you will receive your payment/funds in the next 48 Hours of contacting me please be advice to get back to me on which of the method you want me to make arrangement on how you will receive your funds ,
After getting back to me on which of the method you want, be well assured that your payment will get to you and also know that any of the method you choose will be the only fee you have to pay on this after this nothing more nothing less understand your cooperation is needed. ,
Please found below which of the best way you want us to start making arrangement to send your funds into your Account or by ATM Card / Check .
1) Wire Money Transfer Option: please know and understand we will wire your funds into your nominated bank account and you with confirm your funds in your account in the next 48 Hours . you should know that there is a transfer fee of $550 before your transfer will be confirm and compete into your account ,
2) ATM Card Option: An ATM Card will be send/deliver to your provided Home address on which of the delivery company you want us to use to deliver your Card to you as soon as you pay for your delivery ,
Express Delivery, Courier & Shipping Services - FedEx :
Delivery Fee $265
Shipping, Freight, Logistics and Supply Chain Management from - UPS
Delivery Fee $298
Tracking, Track Parcels, Packages, Shipments | DHL Express
Delivery Fee $395
3) Check Payment option : we will send a check payment to your home address as provide on a delivery fee of just $220
Notice : As soon as the delivery company confirm your payment we will assure your tracking number to enable you track your package before it get to your doorstep because we are so sure of this and giving $100 percent money back if you do not receive your funds with 24 hours of payment on delivery
Await Your urgent respond and Hope to hear from you soon
Guarantee; Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that
your package is sent within 48 working hours. Because we are so sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next 24 hrs after you have made the payment for shipping. After above fee there no more fee of any kind or any hiding payment thanks
Image result for homeland security logo
Homeland Security US Department
Office Address : Federal Government Office 300 7th St SW