fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: gabriel danie <email@example.com> (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 03:31:33 +0100
Subject: ATTN DEAR
I am Mr.Gabriel Daniel from DHL courier company,i wish to inform you that i am
currently at Orlando international airport Florida USA with your ATM VISA CARD
valued your inheritance/compensation funds of US$1,800.000.00 registered with
our company and this was done in accordance with the United Nations ONLINE SCAM
COMPENSATION SCHEME World bank,IMF and the United Nation debt recovery agency.So
you are advised to reconfirm the below information to enable us complete this
delivery of your ATM card package at your home address this morning and fly back
Copy of ID card
Private email for further conversation________
DHL Express ®Courier Company
contact Phone number whtasapp only.+971527710905
Mr. Gabriel Daniel DHL delivery agent.?