fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 07:07:55 +0200
You may be surprise to receive this mail since you don=2019t know me perso=
nally. With due respect, trust and humility, I am sending this proposal mai=
l to you. Officially I am Paul Machilo the son of Mr.Jacob Machilo of South=
Sudan, and my mother Mrs. Susan Machilo. It is indeed my pleasure to conta=
ct you for an assistance of a business venture which I intend to establish =
in your country.
I got your contact while I was doing some private research on the Interne=
t for a reliable foreign partner that will assist me and my family to trans=
fer some funds to your company=2019s or private Bank
account for investment purposes, though I have not met with you before, bu=
t considering the recent political instabilities in my country South Sudan,=
of which if you are current with the situation of
South Sudan or Sudan in general my story will not be like a news to your e=
ars, I therefore believe that I have to take risk confiding in you for the =
success in my life since we have not met with each other for the first time.
The fund in question is huge, amounting ( $20 USD Million.) (TWENTY MILLIO=
N UNITED STATE DOLLARS) which my late Father deposited in the Republic of S=
outh Africa and in a private security company awaiting claim before he was =
assassinated by unknown persons during this war in
South Sudan that brought about the separation of us having two countries, =
South Sudan and Sudan.
Now I have decided to invest the funds in your country or anywhere safe fo=
r security reasons. I have also decided to compensate you with 30% of the t=
otal amount if you agree to assist me. You can contact me through my below =
phone number. All I required is your honest & kind co-operation. I will giv=
e you further details as soon as you show interest in helping me. And state=
to me your full names, address and telephone number, so that I will contac=
t you and kindly forward me any
form of identification as I will send you mine.
I wait for your kind consideration to my proposal.
Kindly reply back on this Email: firstname.lastname@example.org