fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Rev. PAUL ACHUBA" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:50:47 +0100
Subject: CONGRATULATIONS!! YOUR ATM CARD IS READY FOR SHIPMENT
Attn: Funds Beneficiary,
CONGRATULATIONS!! YOUR ATM CARD IS READY FOR SHIPMENT
GOOD NEWS ABOUT YOUR ATM CARD.
You have 100% assurance and guarantee from us to confirm the existence of the funds mentioned in this email without any hitch or delay.
$3,500.000.00 Million United State Dollars have been loaded into an ATM CARD which has been approved in your favor with the maximum withdrawal value of $5,000.00usd permitted daily. And you can make withdrawal in any location of your choice. Call me with my direct telephone No: +234 9050862682 today,
Before you receive your ORIGINAL ATM CARD, we have to activate it, so that when you receive it you will start withdrawing your money,I am glad to tell you that your ATM CARD is real and intact in our security vault here in Nigeria. There is time for everything in life and such opportunity comes once in a lifetime. Among many people around the globe, few enjoy the benefits of their inheritance while many knowingly or unknowingly let their funds go into Government treasury account as unclaimed funds.
God in is infinite mercy signifies you to this inheritance and it yours, all you need to do to see the funds sent to you for real soon is to follow every instruction given to you by the officials. otherwise, we shall be saying one word until nothing happens.
From my records of all outstanding payment, your email was discovered as next on the list of the outstanding beneficiary who have not received their payments and I wish to inform you that your payment has been processed and ready for release to you as soon as you respond to this letter. I don't want your funds to go into the Government treasury Account as an abandoned fund because the mandate has been giving to us now. from Mr.President,and Federal Ministry of Finance.
The ATM card payment center has been mandated to issue out $3,500,000.00m as part payment for this fiscal year 2019. Also for your information, you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your ATM payment.
To proceed immediately:
You have to contact the Ceo. Mr Larry Wilson
Executive Director. ATM Product/ Foreign Operations (UBA BANK)
Call us with our direct telephone No: Call +234 9050862682 immediately today or Drop Short Message Service (SMS) on +1(602)831-3795
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /email@example.com
Make sure you contact Mr. Larry Wilson, at this number +234 9050862682 as soon as you receive this important message for further direction and also, try to update me on any development from the above-mentioned office.
Thanks for Your Co-operation.
Rev, Paul Achuba
United Bank for Africa (UBA)