fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- tx 77008 phone number:+1 (281) 962 3920 email:email@example.com please make sure that you contact the above company with (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:38:05 -0700
Subject: PICKUP YOUR PACKAGE
My Dear One,
My name is Mrs Gill Marcus a citizen of South Africa, Maybe you have
forgotten about me because it has been long when You are my formal
business transaction partner for my late Husband funds that i want to
transfer to your bank account in the past but it was unsuccessful
then.Therefore i later found another partner in the same country of
yours which i was successful transferred the funds into his bank account
and i am happy that it is successful and i am in Houston Texas USA and i
and my partner are traveling to panama-Republic of Panama to enjoy our
Mean while i didn't forget your past efforts and zeal to assist me at
that time. Personally I love being transparent and i decided to
compensate you with something which i bought some gift for you and they
are listed: Four(4) iPhone 7 Plus/ Four(4) Apple Laptops and one(1) Gold
wrist watch with Five Hundred Thousand USDollars($500,000.00 USD)
packaged together with the items mention above,Please i want you to bear
it in mind that i didn't let the Apple Courier Express Delivery know
that there are funds inside the package and i did it because i want to
compensate you to show appreciation for your pass effort.
Therefore I have register the package with the Apple Courier Express
Delivery and you are to contact them with the below details and also you
will contact them with the Items Order Number: 0097775043 for
identification of the package.
APPLE COURIER INC
Apple Courier Express Delivery
Address: 1547 Laird St Houston, TX 77008
Phone Number:+1 (281) 962 3920
Please make sure that you contact the above company with your delivery
details such as your full name/ Home address and your phone number and
please do not disclose the content of the package to them.
Mrs Gill Marcus
You can reach me with my private email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
and i normal check my mail every day.
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.