fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Charles Nafie" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 00:00:10 +0200
Subject: Empr?stimo / About financing your project
Eu tenho um cliente / financiador que est? disposto, pronto para financiar seus projetos existentes e futuros. Meu Financier est? disposto a fornecer fundos para realizar quaisquer projetos s?rios, genu?nos e vi?veis para gerar lucros a uma taxa de juros de 2% por 10 anos.
Por favor, entre em contato comigo diretamente se voc? tiver bons projetos que precisam de financiamento ou se voc? conhece alguma empresa / pessoa s?ria que tenha um projeto vi?vel que precise de financiamento.
Obrigado e cumprimentos
I have a client/ Financier who is willing, ready to finance your existing and future Projects. My Financier is willing to provide funds to accomplish any serious, genuine and Viable Projects to generate profits at 2% interest rate for 10 years.
Please contact me directly if you have good projects that needs funding or you know any serious Company/ Individual who has viable project that needs funding.
Thanks and Best Regards