fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mohammed Malik" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 18:10:40 -0700
Subject: Re GOLD BAR DUST BUYER NEEDED URGENTLY
We are large scale miners located at Tarkwa in Western Region Ghana with
postal address as follows: Achimota, Accra - Ghana, West Africa. We are
incorporated under the Companies Code 1963, Act 179 with RC No: 63,556
(Registrar of Companies, Ghana). We are duly registered with the Minerals
Commission as well as the Precious Minerals Marketing Company Limited,
We have export permit issued by PMMC and certificate of non -criminal
origin issued by the High Court, Ghana. We sell gold dust mined from our
concessions.We offer for sale 800 kilogrammes gold dust characterized as
Form: Alluvial Dust Quality: 22+ Carat (94%) Price: 28,000.00$US per
kilogram Origin: Ghana Deleterious
Element: 0% Cyanide A full corporate offer will be sent upon demand.
WE HAVE GOLD DUST AND BAR FOR SALE LOOKING FOR RELIABLE BUYER
WORLDWIDE. YOU CAN HELP TO CONNECT US WITH ANY BUYER AND TAKE YOUR
COMMISSION AS AGENT.
my number,,, +233238340394