fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Anthony Obi" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:30:49 -0700
Subject: Hello Good Friend.......
Hello Good Friend.
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from Paraguay.
Presently I'm in Paraguay for investment projects with my own share of the total sum.Now I want you to contact my Secretary,her name is Mrs Divine Egodi, on her email address here as ( email@example.com ) ask her to send you the total ($2.5m) Two million Five hundred thousand dollars which i kept for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts you try to assist me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much only that it fail us some how. so feel free and get in touched with my secretary and instruct her where to send the amount to you.
Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share the joy after all the sufferer at that time. in the moment, i am very busy here because of the investment projects which me and the new partner are having at hand, finally, remember that I had forwarded instruction to my secretary on your behalf to receive that money, so feel free to get in touch with Mrs Divine Egodi, she will send the amount to you without any delay........Do not forget to use some money inside to give thanks giving to ALMIGHTY GOD IN ANY YOUR RELIGION.....my secretary email address is is ( firstname.lastname@example.org )........
Please make sure you send her your full name to enable him know that you are the same person name i wrote on the Bank Check i left with her before
1.YOUR NAME IN-FULL:
2:YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS=
4:YOUR DIRECT PHONE NUMBER=
Send an email to her with the above email and apply for your fund as i have informed her about you already.
Mr Anthony Obi