fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Williams David" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 03:22:15 +0800
Subject: Your $10.5 Million USD ATM Master Card Payment.???
UNITED NATIONS OFFICIAL PAYMENT UNIT.
Our Ref: UNO /UN/CTB
RELEASE CODE No: 0463
E-mail : email@example.com
SCAM VICTIMS COMPENSATION PAYMENT
Please be informed that your long awaited compensation funds payment, Ten Million,Five Hundred Thousand United States D0llars has finally been approved but it has also been brought to our notice that a gentle man,Named Micheal laton has just forwarded a new bank coordinates, claiming that,he is your next of kin and that you are dead. Now, here comes the big question:
Did you authorize the above mentioned person to claim your funds
Are you truly dead or alive Is Michael Laton your next of kin If no,
kindly reconfirm this information and get back to us with the below
information for verification.
Note that the only money you will ever paid is just $850 USD for the paper works, take note of that.
Current home address:
We await your urgent response so that we can proceed with your payment.