fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: john <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 12:29:06 +0100
Subject: Immediate ATM DEBIT Cash Card Payment Notification
Immediate ATM DEBIT Cash Card Payment Notification
We want to confirm this story because we receive a authorization
letter from Mr Jackson Smith stating that you are dead that before
your death you authorize him to claim your fund of $10.5m which we
have already programmed in the atm card to be deliver to you but we
want to confirm this story to enable us proceed in delivery the card
to him depending your message.
But if it is false we shall jaiL him according to the law and you are
advise to re-confirm the following information to enable us proceed
in delivery the card to you.
1. YOUR MAILLING ADDRESS ====
2. YOUR MOBILE TELEPHONE NUMBER===
3. YOUR FULL NAME====
As we receive these information we shall proceed in ensure your pre
paid atm card is delivere without further delay.
Wait For Your Expedite Response.
Yours In Service,
Director Foreign Remittance Unit