fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- and you can reach me on the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com regards. mr. simon zondo (Mailbox; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 17:30:23 +0200
Please permit me to introduce myself. My name is Mr. Simon Zondo. I earn
a living in the oil industry as an independent Feasibility/Project
Management Consultant to oil refineries and other oil industries in
Southern African, East Africa and some parts of Asia. We are based in
Johannesburg RSA. Our mandate includes identifying specific licensed
crude oil export/ marketing firms and recommending these firms to the
oil refineries for supply of crude oil to the refineries.
On my desk is a mandate from one the refineries to arrange for crude oil
purchase from Libya for up to 2,000,000 barrels on monthly bases for 12
The essence of my reaching out to you is the fact that I am in the
process of building a middle man structure to mediate between the 2
parties involved before the contract is signed. You may be wondering why
I cannot do it by myself right? The honest fact is that as a consultant
to these oil refineries, we are not allowed to act as suppliers of crude
oil to them as well, hence the reason I need a trustworthy person
outside my work circle in order to maintain a discreet profile.
I wish to extend this partnership to you my friend to build a middle man
structure with you, while I work from the back to guide you. Our
commission/brokerage as middle persons is between $2 - $3 per barrel as
case may be. So if the target of 2M barrels is met monthly we stand to
share $4M - $6M every month for a span of 12 months with possible
Worry less about the speedy sales as I have contacts within oil
producing country's top officials for license of crude oil
export/lifting to any firm I so present for this business. Therefore if
you can be able to handle this transaction with honesty and integrity,
you should come back to me immediately for more details. Your urgent
response is highly needed and you can reach me on the following email
address: firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com
Mr. Simon Zondo