fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "valurg Engilbertsson" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2019 16:03:47 -0700
Subject: PROJECT MANEGEMENT
DEAR SIR / MADAM,
We are financial consultant representing a financial platform
which is a progressive financial asset management group in Europe and
they are a multi national company base in United Kingdom, Italy, and Russia.
Your company can apply to get investment loans through our financial
platform , with an interest rate as low as 1% per annum for a duration
period of ten years maximum.
If interested in this offer please kindly contact us immediately to enable
us introduce you to the financial platform with your business plan for the
financing of your project.
We look forward to have a good business relationship with you and your
Your prompt response will be appreciated.
MR valurg Engilbertsson
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER; This email message is intended only
for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and / or privileged material, Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and or destroy all
copies of the original message. If you are the intended recipient but do
not wish to receive communications through this medium, please so advice
the sender immediately.