fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- sir assalamalakum!!! prince fayad bolkiah firstname.lastname@example.org i got your reliable contact from a business diary and further (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Prince Fayad S Bolkiah <email@example.com>
Date: 07 Oct 2019 09:55:56 -0700
Subject: Remittance Alerts: You should read for your consideration!
PRINCE FAYAD BOLKIAH
I got your reliable contact from a business diary and further
explicit investment information about your country.Â I am PRINCE
FAYAD S. BOLKIAH, the eldest SON of PRINCE JEFRI BOLKIAH, former
Finance Minister of BRUNEI, the TINY OIL-RICH SULTANATE on the
Gulf Island. I will save your time by not amplifying my extended
royal family history, which has already been disseminated by the
international media during the controversial dispute that erupted
between my Father and his step brother, the sultan of BRUNEI
SHEIK MUDA HASSANAL BOLKIAH.
As you may know from the international media, the sultan had
accused my father of financial mismanagement and impropriety of
US$14.8 Billion dollars. This was as a result of the Asian
FINANCIAL CRISIS that made my father's company Amedeo Development
Company and government owned Brunei Investment Company to be
declared bankrupt during his tenure in office. However my father
was kept under house arrest, his bank accounts and private
Properties including a crude oil export refinery were later
confiscated by the sultanate. Furthermore during this unfortunate
period, I was advised to evacuate my immediate family outside the
sultanate to avoid further prosecution from the sultan and his
security operatives, but before I could do that I was placed
under house arrest by the Sultan and have no access to a phone
but I have a Palm hand-held computer from which I am sending you
Some of the guard here are still loyal to me, so they would be
my contact with you if there is any document I need to send to
you to enable you collect the boxes of money on my behalf .Before
my incarceration, I went ahead to dispatch the sum of Five
Hundred Million United States Dollars (US$500,000,000.00) in cash
under special arrangement into the custody of different private
security and Trustee companies for safe keeping abroad. Just like
unspecified amount of money Sadam Husseine took out of Iraq in
The money were splited and kept in the following countries in
this proportion: US$ 50 Million is in Switzerland,US$100 Million
is in Spain, US$100 Million is in Britain, US$80 ,lMillion is in
United Arab Emirate and the balance US$US120 Million is in
Holland.US$50 Million is in South Africa, Hence I seek your good
assistance to invest these funds into profitable investment in
your to facilitate future survival for my family abroad. After
due deliberation with my aids we have decided to offer 20% of
these funds to you as compensation for your strong cooperation
while 5% have been mapped out for both local and international
expenses that may be incurred during this transaction.
Please I count on your absolute confidentiality, transparency
and trust while looking forward to your prompt reply towards a
swift conclusion of this business transaction.
You may contact meÂ so that I will let you know the next thing
I NEED YOUR HELP TRY AND GET BACK TO ME ON MY PERSONAL CONTACT
Many Thanks and may Allah's blessing remain with you. I remain
Your's in brotherhood.
PRINCE FAYAD S. BOLKIAH