fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Mark" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 20:13:29 +0300
Subject: Dear Sir/Madam, CONGRATULATION..126
My name is: Mr. Mark Tom
I have important message for you.
I am the Managing Director of: Tyscal Gold and Jewelries Company LLC.
we are Gold and Jewelries Manufacturing Company and we have Gold and Jewelries, Accessories and Cash to be donated to the out-listed group and individual below to assist them:
1. Charity Organization and Individual
2. Orphanage Home and Individual
3. Non Governmental Organization (NOG)
4. Disabled People
5. Less Privilege
6. Old age people
7. Unemployed People
8. Student who need help
9. Any body who need help
10. Unemployed men and Women.
11. Retired People
12. Small Scale Business who need help
13. Sick Patient
14. Any body who need Loan
If you are interested, kindly get back to us so that we can give you more detail on how to receive the products.
Mr. Mark Tom.
Director & Group Head,
Tyscal Gold and Jewelries Company LLC.