fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Ronas Morris <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 15:02:55 -0700
Subject: Transact 1356990745
OUR FILE REF WAMI/VOL.103/SEP/2019
SUBJECT: AMOUNT DUE FOR CREDIT (ON HOLD): $80, 000.00 DOLLARS
Upon assumption of office by this new democratic government, series of
special meetings were held home and abroad with some leaders of the
World Monetary Institution. that is to tell you that I am committed to
upholding and defending the constitution and laws of this Institution
as well as achieving a higher level of public safety and security
through the prosecution of criminals in the state.
The purpose of the committee among other is to investigate, verify and
settle all outstanding total pending Payment with maximum security
.and records before me has revealed that your payment has not been
effected as a result of official negligence.this is due to many
abnormalities had happened in the institutions where some top official
of the apex institutions are interested in your payment and they
collaborate with impostors who are carrying a fake portfolios with
levies misled and misguided about the position of your fund and having
the opportunity to extort money from you that made it too longer up
till date that explains why you receive different kinds of untrue
emails and phone call from different people everyday.
May it interest you to know that your payment has since being effected
through a new secure system for making fast confirmed payments, the
money is in escrow and the account is set up under your email address
only for your receiver of your with drawer codes .Diplomatic Cash
Ventures should have sent you an email by now with details such as
when and where to pick up the cash. You can pick up the cash at any
convenient bank locate in your area. If there are no convenient
locations near you, you can request to
transfer the cash direct to your bank account or issue you a claque
within 7 hours. If you have not received your with-drawer codes yet
You are to immediately with charges of $86 which you will send a great
deal less than a money wire service would to enable the programming of
your information in the micro chip compartment of central computer and
your code will be send to you to enable you cash your money at your
convenient time. Contact Barrister William Frank at
email@example.com Ask him on how you are to send it.When
writing to Diplomatic Cash Ventures always include the following
Your Full Name =============
Complete address: -----------
Telephone number: -------
Your receiver Email: -----
Your Transact Number: Are 1356990745 Transfer Date:
04-09-2019 Expected Arrival Date: 16-09-2019
Transact Amount:$80, 000.00 the rest amount follows immediately.
Text: ------------------------- .
Finally be inform that your funds are fully free of any liens or and
are clean, clear and non-criminal origin and are
available to pick, this guarantee is witness by the World Bank
Group,International Monetary Funds IMF Paris and London Club of
creditors, European Economic Community EEC, ECOWAS Africa and the
Envoy's of our Correspondence International Bank of Settlement world