fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "utmost confidentiality" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Dorte Bebin <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 05:32:41 +0200
Mrs HillBebin Annegret.
10709 Berlin, Germany.
My name is Mrs Hill Bebin Anne Dorte I am a, nationality Germany.I'm
married to Mr. Hill Bebin Luis from Germany but worked with the national
Oil company in IVORY COAST,before he died in an plane crash in Kenya on
10th march 2019 .
Second month after the death of my husband, who has left me everything he
worked for , the doctors told me I will not live longer than some months
because of my health, I decided to WILL / donate the sum of $3,500,000
(Three million, five hundred thousand dollars) to you for the good work of
humanity, and also to help the motherless and less privilege and also for
the assistance of the widows. I dont have a child of my own who will
inherit my wealth when i am gone. i have no good people around me, everyone
has stolen from me and want me dead so that they can steal all.
I wish you all the best and may the good Lord bless you abundantly,and
please use the funds well and always extend the good work to others. I will
appreciate your utmost confidentiality in this matter until the task is
accomplished as I do not want anything that will jeopardize my last wish .
Pls :. kindly get back to me so that we can discuss more.
Thank You and God Bless You richly!
MRS BEBINHILL ANNEGRET.
Reply to my personal email : email@example.com