fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "will come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Wafa Alhalabi Adel_" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 09:43:58 +0300
Subject: ATTENTION.......VERY IMPORTANT...126
I know this letter will come to you as a surprise especially as you do not know me and we have not met before.My name is COL.WAFA ALHALABI ADEL,i got your contact through Eropean chambers of commerce and industry during my search for a reliable and credible individual who have the capacity to handle transaction of huge magnitude and volume.I have seen your profile and your resume,after going through it with other considerations i decided to send you this propsal.
I am the commanding officer of the Syrian army fighting the ISIL rebels.
This circumstance have prompted this proposal and i will explain more in details upon your acceptance,
I have the sum of 25.5 million Dollars which i got from business deals here. this funds is currently deposited with a Red Cross unit with message that i am making contact for the real owner of the fund. this measure was taken to shield me from involvement with the fund because of Military ethics that forbid us involved in business activity.
However It is under my power to approve whoever comes forth for this money.I wish to use this money for charity purposes in Turkey, where we have high number of refugees and Sudan where we have currently the highest numbers of refugees displaced as a result of war. you need to visit such places.I am not forgetting the displaced in India.
I want to invest the money on stock fish to support this refugees because based on my experience on battle ground in this places, they lack a lot of fish and meat to add to their meager and unpalatable meals which they get in little quantity just to keep them living until God knows when the problem ends. Instead of allowing this terrorist to get the money and spend it on purchasing arms illegally from Russia and China it is better channeled to saving the world.
I cannot move this money out because I am a uniformed personnel and i cannot be parading such an amount, so i need to present someone as the beneficiary, someone I could trust to move the funds in his names as the Beneficiary. that is why i seek your cooperation to be this beneficiary.
As a trained Specialist officer I have a 100% authentic means of moving the funds out through diplomatic means. All I just need is your acceptance for this to be done, so that you can receive the funds.if you are interested in this transaction I will give to you the complete details you need for us to carry out this transaction successfully. I decided to find someone that is real and not imaginary and that is why I went to a secured property site where I can be sure that the person is real and i believe I can trust you.
For now we can only communicate through our military communication a facility which is secured so nobody can monitor our emails, I can explain in details to you because calls might be monitored and I just have to be sure of whom I am dealing with. I can only call you when I am out of our military network. If you are interested please inform me and I will give you more details. I am writing from a fresh email account so if you are not interested do not reply to this email and please delete this message, if no response after 3 days I will then search for someone else.
I am doing this on trust, you should understand and you should know that as a trained military expert I will always play safe in case you are the bad type, but I pray you are not. 25,500,000.00 Dollars is a lot of money which is the dream of anyone.
I await for your acceptance so that we can go on. In less than 21 working days this should be successfully finalized and i will give you 15% of the total fund for your assistance. You can contact me on: firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope i am fair enough
Col.Wafa Alhalabi Adel.