fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Sam Thong" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 19:46:17 -0700
Subject: Business Acquisition
Our underwriter company is seeking the attention of genuine and reliable persons, companies who are indeed in need of funds as investment capital or business expansion in form of a direct loan to partner with us and benefit in our new Loan and Project funding programs.
We offer flexible loans and funding for various projects at very affordable low interest rate of 3% annually for a period of 1-15 years on Non collateral loan/funding . We offer loan/funding from a minimum of Euro / USD$ 1 Million to Euro / USD$ 1 Billion. Max, depending on the nature of business/project. ( No Fees Required, Only Good Business Plan Needed )
We are currently funding for:-
* Starting up a Franchise
* Business Acquisition
* Business Expansion
* Commercial Real Estate purchase
* Health and Water project, Contract Execution, , ETC.
Kindly get in touch for further details and procedure.
Mr. Sam Thong