fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Clark Ruth <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:37:32 +0100
Subject: For your information method of payment
This financial institution is pleased to inform you that we have been appointed After our annual meeting held in the united states of America last week, to effect the release of your over due inheritance payment of Ten Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars ($10, 500,000.00) to you without any further delay.The meeting was attended by Ms. Jane Wilson who represented Bank of America, Dr. Ben S. Bernanke on behalf of the Federal Reserve board, Special Agent Terry William who represented the FBI Anti Terrorist and Monetary Crimes division and some other financial institutions from different part of
We were made to understand that you have tried in the past to receive your fund but all to no avail, therefore we sincerely apologize for the delay in the release of your over due contract inheritance payment valued $10, 500,000.00 (Ten Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) into your personal account.However, this bank has been empowered by the world bank to release your over due inheritance payment to you as the funds originated country, and as the beneficiary of the said fund, you are expected to comply with our instructions immediately.
we have two method of payment, TELX TRANSFER Or ATM VISA CARD Delivery Also telex transfer. If you request for online Bank crediting, we will assist you in setting up the account after which the information's will be sent to you for your easy access and transfer of fund into any account of your choice.
If you choose an ATM Delivery, this bank will approve an ATM which will be delivered to you for easy withdrawal of your fund in any ATM Machine all over the world.In other to for us to commence in any of the above stated options, you are required to forward the below stated information's to us immediately.
Reconfirm the following Information to me if you are still willing to receive your funds:
1) Email address...........
2) Phone, fax and mobile #.
3) company's name,position and address.
4) profession, age and marital status.
5) Copy of int'l passport or any scanned identity to prove yourself
In case you are presently dealing with any individual or financial institution claiming to be in charge of your fund, you are advised to stop every further communication with them immediately, to avoid any further delay in the release of your funds to you.
International Settlement Dept
Mrs Clark Ruth