fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.James Alimama" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2019 06:11:22 -0700
Subject: MY COMPENSATION
You might find it so difficult to remember me. Though, it is indeed, a
very long time. On my singular, I am much delighted and privileged to
contact you again, after couple of years now. It takes fate, courage
and God's fearing to remember old friends and at the same time, to
show gratification to them, despite circumstances that made things,
not worked out as we projected then.
I take this liberty to inform you that, the transaction we were
pursing together, finally worked out by God's infinite mercy and I
decided to contact you, just to let you know. I have conscience as a
human begin, due to your tremendous effort and contribution to make
things work out in retrospect.
Meanwhile, I must inform you that, I am presently in Luxembourg for
numerous business negotiations and establishment. I just arrived
yesterday night and checked inn, in a hotel and decided to go down to
the hotel business center to mail you. Now, with my sincere heart, I
have raised and signed an International Cashier's Bank Draft, to the
tune of USD$850.000.00 (Eight Hundred And Fifty Thousand Dollars )
only in your name as COMPENSATION to your dedication, humanity and
contribution, as it were. Please, contact my confidential
secretary,her name is: GRACE BENNEH( Secretary)E-mail: